prattle on

This is where I come to reminisce; to remember; to dream... This is where I honor friends and family; and best friends. "Let's Reminisce:"We laughed and joked the night you left- Tho' in our hearts we cried... We had our fun, just you and I- And harmed no one or thing,- Our hearts were filled with gladness- And joy of that northern spring. That was the life, the life we lived- When you were by my side. I hope again that you'll be near- If fate can turn the tide." Prattling On...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I am a woman of undisclosed age, intelligent and talented, not to mention, very attractive.(I said not to mention attractive)And (sorry guys) married to a wonderful man.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

So much for the carnival

We were on pins and needles as long as the carnival was there. The second day Daddy took us out again and gave Mother some 'peace of mind,' as she put it. We never got tired of watching the clowns running around or the pretty things we could win if we could throw the ball straight enough. But we never thought of wasting money on things like that. Beside the fact that we never had any money.

We got to ride the merry-go-around one more time and that used up all our passes. We were getting pretty dirty from the dust by then.

"Here, Buddy," Daddy said. He gave him a dime and said to take us girls over to the big red square thing full of ice and buy a drink to share with us. "Mickey, you be sure to keep hold of the girls hands now." So off we went with me on one side of Mickey and Joan on the other side of her. Buddy had to be the big man and walked in front of us so we wouldn't get lost so here we went.


Buddy gave the man the dime and said we wanted the biggest bottle he had cause we all had to share it. Well, of course, Buddy had the first swallow of it then let us girls have a drink. I took as big a swig as I could and swallowed it down. I couldn't get my breath and my eyes started to get full of tears! "Well," Buddy said, " you should not have taken so much!" Mickey was smarter that I was so she just took a little and Joan was so little she just took a little, too. Buddy drank most of the rest but let us all have just a little sip more. This time, believe me, I just took a little sip. Buddy took us back and Daddy said we had better go home now so Buddy took us home. But he got to go back.

'Okay girls, its time to get ready for bed now.' We all knew we had to wash up. Thankfully we had a pump about 30 feet behind our tent. It was at one time a bright red I'm sure but by the time we got there it was pretty rusted over. We didn't let that bother us tho' because we at least didn't have to haul water from the creek!

We had two one-holer out-houses about 100 feet over at the side and since that's all we had ever known anyway, we were sitting pretty! (So to speak)

Mickey and I took the buckets and went to the pump and got them full of water. We didn't get in the tub that night because there were too many strangers around. Mother made sure we scrubbed our faces, arms and legs so we wouldn't get her covers dirty.
When we were all washed, Mother put the kerosene lamp in the middle of the table and lit it. I guess this was a nightly thing with us. We all set around the table and Mother read out of the bible to us.

It wasn't long before we were falling asleep in the chairs so mom fixed our pallet. There was only one bed and that was for Mother and Daddy and the baby, of course. Mickey and I slept at the head and Joan slept at the foot.

Mickey and I giggled for a little about the clown and the big stick you could hit the bottom of with a hammer and it would go up and ring a big bell. We didn't see anyone really ring the bell but we knew our Daddy could have done it if he didn't have to work all the time!

"Okay, girls." Mother's warning was enough to quiet us down. We dropped off to sleep right away because we were so tired.

Now I'm tired again, too, so I'm just;

Prattling on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home